Published in the Palestine Register, Nov. 3, 1930.

Angeline Wilson Alexander, daughter of Presley O. and Henrietta Marie (Kitchell) Wilson, was born March 23, 1838, in Palestine, Ill., on West Grand Prairie Street where the Shell Filling Station now stands. She died November 3, 1930, aged 92 years, 6 months and 10 days.

Her father came to Illinois from Virginia in 1817. He was the son of the first probate judge of Crawford County, he himself, holding office in his turn as county judge and sheriff. Our subjectís mother was the granddaughter of Othniel Looker, a Revolutionary soldier and former Governor of Ohio whose remains rest in the Kitchell cemetery in Palestine.

Mrs. Alexanderís grandfather, Joseph Kitchell, with Edward Cullom, gave the original plot of land on which Palestine was laid out in 1818. He as the first registrar of the Land Office and in a business way, established the first mill in Crawford County, a "horse mill". At five years of age she moved with her fatherís family to the Hotchkiss farm, west of Palestine, and here her early days were spent. Her education was obtained in subscription schools of Palestine. The colorful background of early times was also strongly impressed on her memory. Among her earliest recollections were old Fort LaMotte and Bristolís Landing with its grain warehouses and pork packing industry which sent cargoes down the Wabash. Her father made yearly trips in flat boats to New Orleans.