Location: Palestine, IL, on the southeast corner of the intersection of E. Lamotte Street and S. Leaverton Street or the northwest corner of the 'new' or 'north' section of Palestine Cemetery. (GPS: 38.999587, -87.602868). When the land containing this marker was acquired for expansion of Palestine Cemetery, extensive surveys were done seeking evidence of the Fort, or related artifacts. None were found. The Fort being long gone, this historical marker is located at a 'best guess' location near where the Fort probably stood.

Inscription:

FORT LaMOTTE

About 1812 the settlers in this area built Fort LaMotte for protection from hostile Indians. The pioneers farmed the adjoining land but stayed within easy reach of the protective walls. After the War of 1812 the Indian threat diminished and the inhabitants of the Fort became the nucleus of Palestine.

Erected by the citizens of Palestine and the Illinois State Historical Society, 1962.

See the Inscription text provided above.