Following is one of the Biographies and Stories which where gathered by Charles Sumner McKamy in the 1950s for publication in a Crawford County History Book. Unfortunately he passed away before the book was published.

Among the early settlers who established homes in Crawford County in the 19th Century came many men possessed of education and acquired talents as well as native intelligence and ability. Such a pioneer was Hazael Lindsay -- first of the name to locate in this county.

The Lindsays came originally from Scotland, the first of the clan reaching America in the later part of the 16th Century. At the outbreak of the Revolution, the family was divided, some remaining faithful to the Crown, but the greater number joined with the Colonists and family history both written and traditional, attest that there were one hundred of the family from which the Crawford County Lindsays trace their descent that served with the Colonial forces.

John T. Lindsay was a resident of Frederick, Maryland. (The name John T. has been handed down in the Lindsay family for many generations). He was married about 1780 to Miss Susan Dowden and a few years later moved to Kentucky. There, with others, they made their home in a Fort as a protection against the hostile Indians. To this union were born nine sons and three daughters. In the War of 1812, three of these sons were in military service and took part in the battle where Tecumseh was killed.

Another son of John T. Lindsay, Hazael, ancestor of the Crawford County branch, was born in 1801, and married in Henry County, Kentucky, to Miss Sarah Ford, and when 29 years of age, moved to Illinois with his family. Abner, the oldest of the Hazael Lindsay family was then eight years of age. The trip was made down the Kentucky and Ohio rivers on a flat boat to the mouth of the Wabash. The boat was then pushed up that river to the falls at Mt. Carmel where the boat was sold and teams hired to bring them to their destination in Montgomery Township.

The first stop was made with the family of William Highsmith (Mrs. Highsmith and Mrs. Lindsay were sisters). Then a temporary home was occupied near the Shimer graveyard, but very soon Mr. Lindsay entered land from the Government in Section 21, and a site was selected and a log cabin built. This farm is still in the Lindsay family. The location of the early cabin has apparently never been cultivated. The spot today is a place of beauty, thickly covered with grass and surrounded with trees. Here Mr. and Mrs. Lindsay reared a family of seven boys and four girls. The sons married and all of them lived within a mile of the old stead. The father was one of the county's early day teachers and gave the land for the Lindsay School where the surname Lindsay predominated on the School register for many years. The four daughters of the family were: Ann, who married Wiley Montgomery, Mariah, who married David Etherington, Susan, who married John Pinkstaff, and Eliza, who married Patrick Duff.

Mr. Lindsay was also a taker of the census and assessor when the work covered the entire county for which later work he received $65.00. He died in 1874.

The seven sons of this pioneer family comprise an unusual group, all living to pass the three score ten mark except Amos Lindsay, the youngest of the seven who died in 1889 while yet in the forties, of results of disease contracted during his service in the Civil War. Another brother, John Tolson Lindsay saw Military Service in the 60s. He was a member of Company "C" 47th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, one of the companies of the famous Eagle Brigade. Mr. Lindsay died Feb. 19, 1915, a short time after having celebrated his 90th birthday. Abner Lindsay, the oldest, died in 1893 aged 70 years. His death was second among the brothers. Samuel Lindsay, aged 82, died in 1910, he too, was the father of seven sons, three of whom survive: Scott Lindsay of Flat Rock; Hazael Lindsay, Jr. died Jan. 31, 1913 at the age of 75; James W. Lindsay died at his home in Robinson Feb. 18, 1917 lacking a few days of reaching his 82nd birthday; J. Bruce of Robinson and Firman Lindsay of southeast of Flat Rock. In 1921 occurred the death of the last of the Lindsay brothers, Nathaniel, aged 88.

Among the living lineal descendents of Hazael and Sarah (Ford) Lindsay, the oldest are Scott Lindsay, aged 83, Samuel Scott Lindsay, aged 78, son of Nathaniel, William T. of Flat Rock R.R. aged 76, son of Abner, and Charles Lindsay of Flat Rock RR#1, also a son of Nathaniel Lindsay and James R. Lindsay of Robinson, son of James W. Lindsay.

Family of James William Lindsay, as of October 28, 1955:

First wife, Roda, children born to this union Nathaniel, William, Vinnie, all deceased

Second wife, Hannah, children born by this union, Rosalie, spinster, John T. who married Edith Holmes, John T. now deceased.

Sarah, who married Andrew Caverly, both deceased

Matilda, who married Austin Richey

James Roscoe, who married Rilla Victoria Miller (He being the only son, now living of James William Lindsay) to this union were born Frances, who married William F. Brush

Mary, who married Richard E. Kerr, who have one daughter, Patricia, aged 11

James Wendell, who married Iris Wood, who have one daughter, Vickie Ann, aged 14

Family of James William Lindsay, whose first Wife Roda, and to them were born three children, Nathaniel, William and Vinnie, all deceased. His second wife Hannah, to whom were born five children: Rosalie, a spinster, John T., whose wife was Edith Holmes, both deceased, Sarah, whose husband was Andrew Caverly, both deceased, Matilda, whose husband was Austin Richey, James Roscoe, whose wife is Rilla Victoria Miller. James Roscoe, being now the only living son of James William Lindsay, deceased and they have now living three children, viz: Frances, whose husband is William F. Brush, no children, Mary, whose husband is Richard E. Kerr, with one daughter, Patricia, aged 11, James Wendell, whose wife is Iris Wood, with one daughter, Vickie Ann, aged 14.

The foregoing Lindsay Family History has been given us through the courtesy of Frances Brush.

_______ Lindsay, son of John T. Lindsay who was born at Flat Rock, whose father was James William and his mother was Hannah E. (Richards) . His father John T. was born Nov. 20, 1876, his father owning 200 acres of land in Crawford County in the Oil Belt on which 16 producing wells were drilled.

For a number of years Father was connected with the schools of Crawford County. After finishing Central Normal College at Danville, Indiana he taught in the County later taking a course in Austin College at Effingham, Illinois in 1902. Then he was appointed Principal of the Effingham High School, and later made Principal of the Oblong and Hutsonville High Schools, his experience as a teacher covering nine years, during which time he became one of the best known teachers in the county as well as one of the most popular.

In 1905 he came to Robinson to embark in the oil and real estate business and in which he became a business man of marked ability and done a large volume of business, handling some of the most valuable oil lands in the county. He was a Mason of high standing and was a member of other Fraternal Organizations and was a prominent Republican.

On Aug. 10, 1905 he was married at Effingham to Miss Edith Charlotte Holmes where they both resided at Effingham and he was a leading attorney, to which union was born one child, Forrest Holmes Lindsay on April 11, 1907.