Intended for publication in the Robinson Daily newspaper, circa 28 June 2016.

Since its founding in 1843, Robinson has had two areas set aside for the purpose of burial: the Old Robinson Cemetery located on North King Street; and the new Robinson Cemetery situated on outer East Main Street. However, before the town of Robinson was established, the area was open prairie with few homes scattered among the foxtails. Life was hard, and the mortality rate was high.

According to old records, the first known "community" burial plots in this area were located on the corner of what is now North Cross Street and East Cherry Street. It was initially referred to as the Community Cemetery and later referenced as the Old Old Cemetery. Up until 1904, as many as 18 markers could be counted. Unfortunately, no monuments were among them; all were either flat slab or small white marble block. Based on these types of markers, it is believed that most of these graves were those of children.

As more settlers moved into the area, the town of Robinson was eventually established on Christmas Day, 1843. The corner lot on Cross and Cherry also became the site of the Mrs. Habernigg home, a long one-story frame house which stood on the corner lot adjoining the cemetery to the south. The late Mrs. D. A. Mefford (Fannie Waldrop Mefford) recalled hoping over the low stones many times as she ran to play in Sugar Creek which crossed the street just north of the cemetery. Her grandparents, John B. Smith and Nancy Barbee Smith, lived in the original house that stood on the location (the Habernigg home.) Ms. Inis Bussard, a former local historian, recalled seeing a small broken stone that came from the Community Cemetery bearing the name of a child - Lagow.

In the early 1900s, the corner lot was purchased by Mr. Charles Chamblin as a residence site; the old building was moved to the 8th block of Rector Avenue where it was converted into a cottage.

At some point, the 18 or so markers in the original Community Cemetery were removed and placed elsewhere. No written records have been found that suggest exactly when, by whom or where they were relocated. Or do any records exist that documents the re-internment of those buried at the Community Cemetery. Extensive searches of the Old Robinson Cemetery have revealed no grave markers prior to its establishment in 1849.

Anyone believing they may have had a relative buried in the Community Cemetery can contact the Crawford County Historical Society at 544-3087 for further information or Janie Cravens at 553-7248. Janie Cravens is the James Halstead Sr., NSDAR Preservation Committee Chairman.